ramble through the bronx

yes, this here is ramble through the bronx, the continuing musings of a graduate student* who should be writing her dissertation, but honestly, living in new york city there's really so much else to do...

* and her commenting friends. And guest blogger.
[welcome to ramble through the bronx | bloghome
[archive]
[I wish I was a mole in the ground]
FRIENDS
NYC
Meredith [>] (NYC/Toronto)
Emily [>] (Brooklyn)
Emily's music site[>]
Jeremy [>] (Bronx)
Ryan [>] (Bronx)
non-NYC people I miss
Jennifer [>] (Toronto)
Tokyo Tintin[>] (Tokyo/Toronto)
Dawn [>] (Ottawa)
Caitlyn [>] (Ottawa)
CBC [>] (my true love)
del.icio.us/janeyjane [>] (my social link collection, alas, not updated lately. I am apparently not delicious)
The Keeper [>] (try it, you'll love it)
comics sites that I check every day
Newsarama [>] (check out the 'blog' section especially)
When Fangirls Attack [>] (women in comics links)
politics, media, and gossip
AlterNet [>]
Wonkette[>]
Gawker[>]
'Fuddle duddle' incident [>]
The Nation [>]
Catholic stuff
America Magazine [>] magazine of US Jesuits
Commonweal Magazine [>] biweekly magazine of lay Catholics
Karl Rahner Society [>] site dedicated to awesome 20th c. theologian
Liberal Catholic News [>] blog for progressive catholics
Pacem in Terris [>] Pope John XXIII's 1963 encyclical
music - mostly folk music and banjo links
The How and Tao of Folk Music [>] Patrick Costello's podcasts & banjo & folk guitar instruction
Back Porch News [>]News, Commentary & Links for the folkie community
E-Z Folk [>]Folk music instruction and tabulature
amuse yourself
Piled Higher and Deeper [>] (comic about grad student life)
Cat and Girl [>] just what it sounds like
The Onion [>]
Sluggy Freelance [>]
The Boondocks [>]
Eric Conveys an Emotion [>]
philosophy
Society for Women in Philosophy [>]
the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy [>]
The Hegel Society of America[>]
North American Fichte Society[>]
Journal of Neoplatonic Studies [>]
Women Philosophers [>]
Brian Leiter's blog [>]
read/see/hear
Harper's [>]
Neil Gaiman [>]
Charles de Lint [>]
Making Light [>]
McSweeney's [>]
WFUV [>]
Anti-pedantry page: Singular 'their' in Jane Austen [>]
places I miss
Cafe Diplomatico [>] (Toronto)
The Red Room [>] (Toronto)
The Free Times Cafe [>] (Toronto)
Sneaky Dee's [>] (Toronto... aka Sneaky Disease, best nachos in town)
Kensington Market [>] (Toronto)
College Street [>] (Toronto)
Perfection Satisfaction Promise [>] (Ottawa - formerly the Painted Potato)
Piccolo Grande [>] (Ottawa)
The Market [>] (Ottawa)
Stray cats of Parliament Hill [>] (Ottawa)
other nonsense
Mozilla [>]
Abebooks [>]
Alibris [>]
Metafilter [>]
and thank you
Thanks to Haloscan for blog-comment-ability

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Sorry I haven't been writing lately

...also known as, Walsh Library, Reference Desk, how may I help you?

I'm writing this from the library, of course, during the last 20 minutes of my shift. Yes! All of you can shake your heads and go, "yes, yes, we saw it all along, jane's working at the library... we knew it... that high school yearbook photo from graduation, where she looks like a librarian, yes, yes, we knew it all along." Yes! Look at me, behind the desk in the Reference Room! I just walked around and turned off monitors and reshelved three books! (From PN 1993-PN 1995, all books about film, huzzah). And I told one woman that the library would be open for another half hour. Yes, that is me. Authority! Ha ha! Just wait 'til I get to tell someone to "shhh!" (Unlikely.... my shift is Wednesday and Thursday nights from 8pm - 11pm -- not too much rowdiness at all... oh, and every other Friday from 9-5pm.. hopefully that will be riveting!)

This is a lovely part-time job to have as I study for comprehensive exams. I got through all of the epistemological sections in Books V and VI of the Republic (the sun, the divided line, opinion vs. belief, that sort of thing), makin' lots of notes in multiple colours with my pretty new pens. I also cruised around the Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy, lookin' at some of the stuff about middle vs. late dialogues on the Forms. Yes, yes, all very exciting stuff! Woo hoo! This is me, studying for the whole summer!

So, that's about it for now... I could post a bunch of links to philosophy pages I found, but I'm not sure anyone other than the other comps studyin' folks here would find that so interesting, & I'll just talk to them in person. So there.

I'll probably write more, now that I have this little chunk of work to do.

(Oh yes, I'm also working about 5 hours a week for Dr. Tress, still, on the Journal of Neoplatonic Studies... and also stuff for the 2004 Ancient & Medieval Philosophy Conference (the webpage linked to is actually from the 2003 conference, but presumably will be updated at some point). So I'm keeping busy).

Yay! Fun!

OK, done now. Love you all...


jane 10:33 PM [+]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?