ramble through the bronx

yes, this here is ramble through the bronx, the continuing musings of a graduate student* who should be writing her dissertation, but honestly, living in new york city there's really so much else to do...

* and her commenting friends. And guest blogger.
[welcome to ramble through the bronx | bloghome
[archive]
[I wish I was a mole in the ground]
FRIENDS
NYC
Meredith [>] (NYC/Toronto)
Emily [>] (Brooklyn)
Emily's music site[>]
Jeremy [>] (Bronx)
Ryan [>] (Bronx)
non-NYC people I miss
Jennifer [>] (Toronto)
Tokyo Tintin[>] (Tokyo/Toronto)
Dawn [>] (Ottawa)
Caitlyn [>] (Ottawa)
CBC [>] (my true love)
del.icio.us/janeyjane [>] (my social link collection, alas, not updated lately. I am apparently not delicious)
The Keeper [>] (try it, you'll love it)
comics sites that I check every day
Newsarama [>] (check out the 'blog' section especially)
When Fangirls Attack [>] (women in comics links)
politics, media, and gossip
AlterNet [>]
Wonkette[>]
Gawker[>]
'Fuddle duddle' incident [>]
The Nation [>]
Catholic stuff
America Magazine [>] magazine of US Jesuits
Commonweal Magazine [>] biweekly magazine of lay Catholics
Karl Rahner Society [>] site dedicated to awesome 20th c. theologian
Liberal Catholic News [>] blog for progressive catholics
Pacem in Terris [>] Pope John XXIII's 1963 encyclical
music - mostly folk music and banjo links
The How and Tao of Folk Music [>] Patrick Costello's podcasts & banjo & folk guitar instruction
Back Porch News [>]News, Commentary & Links for the folkie community
E-Z Folk [>]Folk music instruction and tabulature
amuse yourself
Piled Higher and Deeper [>] (comic about grad student life)
Cat and Girl [>] just what it sounds like
The Onion [>]
Sluggy Freelance [>]
The Boondocks [>]
Eric Conveys an Emotion [>]
philosophy
Society for Women in Philosophy [>]
the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy [>]
The Hegel Society of America[>]
North American Fichte Society[>]
Journal of Neoplatonic Studies [>]
Women Philosophers [>]
Brian Leiter's blog [>]
read/see/hear
Harper's [>]
Neil Gaiman [>]
Charles de Lint [>]
Making Light [>]
McSweeney's [>]
WFUV [>]
Anti-pedantry page: Singular 'their' in Jane Austen [>]
places I miss
Cafe Diplomatico [>] (Toronto)
The Red Room [>] (Toronto)
The Free Times Cafe [>] (Toronto)
Sneaky Dee's [>] (Toronto... aka Sneaky Disease, best nachos in town)
Kensington Market [>] (Toronto)
College Street [>] (Toronto)
Perfection Satisfaction Promise [>] (Ottawa - formerly the Painted Potato)
Piccolo Grande [>] (Ottawa)
The Market [>] (Ottawa)
Stray cats of Parliament Hill [>] (Ottawa)
other nonsense
Mozilla [>]
Abebooks [>]
Alibris [>]
Metafilter [>]
and thank you
Thanks to Haloscan for blog-comment-ability

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

random stuff from after a low-key christmas get-together thing

Just up at my neighbours' having some nog and red wine as a last-ditch holiday party, before folks head off to visit family. Some folks are then back in town real soon, or heading off to the APA (American Philosophical Association) meeting at the end of December, or whatever. I feel kind of weird that I'm flying home tomorrow and won't be back in NYC until the 11th of January, but I really need to get away and recharge.

I've wondered this before -- what counts as home? If I were still dating Richard, given that he's going to be here all during the holidays, then here would feel like home. At least -- I wouldn't stay in Canada as long. But, at the same time, it still feels like I won't be back for that long - 5 days with my mom, 5 days in Ottawa (hometown!) with the crew there, a week in Toronto with the college friends -- it's not a long time to spend with people who are, in a very real sense, constitutive of who I am today. I think that I was formed a lot more by my university and high school friends than by my grad school friends, no matter how much I've been learning since I got to nyc, and no matter how many of their mannerisms & musical tastes I pick up.

.,.. but who knows?

So lately I've been spending a lot of time lurking on MetaFilter, which I realize all the cool kids started hangin' out on years ago, but whatever. It was strange -- I saw a couple comments by an old friend of mine from Ottawa on there, and emailed him to say hi. Hopefully we'll go for coffee in Ottawa & catch up a bit.

Hm. I've had some wine and am feeling maudlin, and want to ramble on about my feelings, but don't really want anyone to read them, particularly Richard, who is liable to wander over and read this nonsense. Ex-boyfriends kind of take the fun out of a blog. Note to self -- blogs should be friends-only; no boyfriends allowed. (given that they'll always turn into ex-boyfriends).



P.S. added January 2, 2005: apparently maudlin ramblings on blogs have effects, since apparently people do read them, including people mentioned in them... but he says he won't be reading anymore.

So I can come out of the closet with my crush on Justin Timberlake.

No, well, oh well. Anyway. Happy New Year.

jane 1:03 AM [+]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?