ramble through the bronx

yes, this here is ramble through the bronx, the continuing musings of a graduate student* who should be writing her dissertation, but honestly, living in new york city there's really so much else to do...

* and her commenting friends. And guest blogger.
[welcome to ramble through the bronx | bloghome
[archive]
[I wish I was a mole in the ground]
FRIENDS
NYC
Meredith [>] (NYC/Toronto)
Emily [>] (Brooklyn)
Emily's music site[>]
Jeremy [>] (Bronx)
Ryan [>] (Bronx)
non-NYC people I miss
Jennifer [>] (Toronto)
Tokyo Tintin[>] (Tokyo/Toronto)
Dawn [>] (Ottawa)
Caitlyn [>] (Ottawa)
CBC [>] (my true love)
del.icio.us/janeyjane [>] (my social link collection, alas, not updated lately. I am apparently not delicious)
The Keeper [>] (try it, you'll love it)
comics sites that I check every day
Newsarama [>] (check out the 'blog' section especially)
When Fangirls Attack [>] (women in comics links)
politics, media, and gossip
AlterNet [>]
Wonkette[>]
Gawker[>]
'Fuddle duddle' incident [>]
The Nation [>]
Catholic stuff
America Magazine [>] magazine of US Jesuits
Commonweal Magazine [>] biweekly magazine of lay Catholics
Karl Rahner Society [>] site dedicated to awesome 20th c. theologian
Liberal Catholic News [>] blog for progressive catholics
Pacem in Terris [>] Pope John XXIII's 1963 encyclical
music - mostly folk music and banjo links
The How and Tao of Folk Music [>] Patrick Costello's podcasts & banjo & folk guitar instruction
Back Porch News [>]News, Commentary & Links for the folkie community
E-Z Folk [>]Folk music instruction and tabulature
amuse yourself
Piled Higher and Deeper [>] (comic about grad student life)
Cat and Girl [>] just what it sounds like
The Onion [>]
Sluggy Freelance [>]
The Boondocks [>]
Eric Conveys an Emotion [>]
philosophy
Society for Women in Philosophy [>]
the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy [>]
The Hegel Society of America[>]
North American Fichte Society[>]
Journal of Neoplatonic Studies [>]
Women Philosophers [>]
Brian Leiter's blog [>]
read/see/hear
Harper's [>]
Neil Gaiman [>]
Charles de Lint [>]
Making Light [>]
McSweeney's [>]
WFUV [>]
Anti-pedantry page: Singular 'their' in Jane Austen [>]
places I miss
Cafe Diplomatico [>] (Toronto)
The Red Room [>] (Toronto)
The Free Times Cafe [>] (Toronto)
Sneaky Dee's [>] (Toronto... aka Sneaky Disease, best nachos in town)
Kensington Market [>] (Toronto)
College Street [>] (Toronto)
Perfection Satisfaction Promise [>] (Ottawa - formerly the Painted Potato)
Piccolo Grande [>] (Ottawa)
The Market [>] (Ottawa)
Stray cats of Parliament Hill [>] (Ottawa)
other nonsense
Mozilla [>]
Abebooks [>]
Alibris [>]
Metafilter [>]
and thank you
Thanks to Haloscan for blog-comment-ability

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

So instead of writing my paper, what am I doing?

OK, so if you haven't taken a look at the Anne Rice Amazon thing by now, you're really missing out. Particularly if you've liked her books in the past. The whole thing is about her having posted a "rebuttal" on Amazon to the readers who trashed her latest book. (Google "anne rice comments amazon" to get the whole story, including her statement about it on her own website).

But the comments by the other readers are what is priceless. For example:

this post from November 3, 2004, written by a 13-year old:

---
Okay, for the controversy, Blood Canticle was an awesome book. For those of you giving it bad ratings, you are so incompetent that you don't understand anything about the book. I've e-mailed Ms. Rice, and to me she seemed disappointed with you people for being so inhumane and unforgiving. I very much agree!

I understand the character of Lestat more than all the other books now. Ms. Rice has really nailed him this time. He exactly as she describes him, arrogant, sophisticated, fun-loving, well-dressed, savvy, hilarious, insane, wanting-to-be-a-saint, chararismatic and smart! If you want the old Lestat back, whatever, go for it. I personally like the hip Lestat better.

However, Ms. Rice is almost at her best in this book. It is deeply detailed, perfectly portrayed, and a sensational hit! I do agree with those you say it isn't right for children. Children are too immature, and they don't understand the concept, just like some of these adults. I myself am thirteen, yet I understand the book completely. So mature a little, then go ahead and re-read this lovely novel.

I've been reading the Chronicles since I was 11, and I'm am totally enamored of Lestat's character. I have also read The Witching Hour, Lasher, Taltos, Pandora, and Vittorio the Vampire. I read at college level, so I know good books when I read them.

The perversion of these attacks personally affect me and all others who are fans of Anne Rice. You insult her, you insult me. Is it not enough that her husband has died, and that she is under enormous pressure from these worthless fiends who write obscene comments about her? Guess not. Why don't you just take a baseball bat to her and work her over a while? That ought to satisfy your cruelty.

And for the record, this is probably just a waste of time. You people are so wrapped up in yourselves that you care
non-whatsoever for others. You don't even deserve the right to apologize to Ms. Rice. You utterly disgust me.

Also, you attack Ms. Rice herself with comments such as ,"Go mourn your dead husband." or "Good thing she stopped writing." You know what? YOU try dealing with the death of a loved one and stil continuing your career. Anne Rice is writing for a living, so why don't you insult some business owner or a cashier at a store? Hmmm???

You can bite me for all I care! You are pathetic imbeciles just looking for attention! Leave this poor woman alone! Just don't mess with her!

However, it is unfair of me to insult you if I don't even know you that well.(Might want to take THAT hint...) Anyways, I apologize. Blood Canticle was a really great book! It was my favorite of all the Chronicles. It really does hurt me that people would say such nasty things like Ms. Rice didn't write the novel, or she could have done better. I was sorrowful to learn that this was the last of a series I enjoyed so much, but all good things must come to an end. You can't expect the author to live forever, or people to commit to the series.

That being said, I hope this will help reviewers out there to take in what I've said. Thank you for your time to read this, and please think this review over.

P.S. Lestat is not a wuss! He is a brave, compassionate, tortured soul!!!! He is my hero! I LOVE LESTAT!!!!!!

---

Ahh, just a good reminder that precocious reading abilities do not equal good literary discernment. (And I'm not being mean -- I seem to recall myself being much the same at that age, and equally sentimental.... although about Les Miserables.... I think I waited until I was 14 to get into the Anne Rice.

(I particularly enjoyed, so I'll quote it again: "I do agree with those you say it isn't right for children. Children are too immature, and they don't understand the concept, just like some of these adults. I myself am thirteen, yet I understand the book completely. So mature a little, then go ahead and re-read this lovely novel." It's just too good)




jane 10:23 AM [+]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?