ramble through the bronx

yes, this here is ramble through the bronx, the continuing musings of a graduate student* who should be writing her dissertation, but honestly, living in new york city there's really so much else to do...

* and her commenting friends. And guest blogger.
[welcome to ramble through the bronx | bloghome
[archive]
[I wish I was a mole in the ground]
FRIENDS
NYC
Meredith [>] (NYC/Toronto)
Emily [>] (Brooklyn)
Emily's music site[>]
Jeremy [>] (Bronx)
Ryan [>] (Bronx)
non-NYC people I miss
Jennifer [>] (Toronto)
Tokyo Tintin[>] (Tokyo/Toronto)
Dawn [>] (Ottawa)
Caitlyn [>] (Ottawa)
CBC [>] (my true love)
del.icio.us/janeyjane [>] (my social link collection, alas, not updated lately. I am apparently not delicious)
The Keeper [>] (try it, you'll love it)
comics sites that I check every day
Newsarama [>] (check out the 'blog' section especially)
When Fangirls Attack [>] (women in comics links)
politics, media, and gossip
AlterNet [>]
Wonkette[>]
Gawker[>]
'Fuddle duddle' incident [>]
The Nation [>]
Catholic stuff
America Magazine [>] magazine of US Jesuits
Commonweal Magazine [>] biweekly magazine of lay Catholics
Karl Rahner Society [>] site dedicated to awesome 20th c. theologian
Liberal Catholic News [>] blog for progressive catholics
Pacem in Terris [>] Pope John XXIII's 1963 encyclical
music - mostly folk music and banjo links
The How and Tao of Folk Music [>] Patrick Costello's podcasts & banjo & folk guitar instruction
Back Porch News [>]News, Commentary & Links for the folkie community
E-Z Folk [>]Folk music instruction and tabulature
amuse yourself
Piled Higher and Deeper [>] (comic about grad student life)
Cat and Girl [>] just what it sounds like
The Onion [>]
Sluggy Freelance [>]
The Boondocks [>]
Eric Conveys an Emotion [>]
philosophy
Society for Women in Philosophy [>]
the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy [>]
The Hegel Society of America[>]
North American Fichte Society[>]
Journal of Neoplatonic Studies [>]
Women Philosophers [>]
Brian Leiter's blog [>]
read/see/hear
Harper's [>]
Neil Gaiman [>]
Charles de Lint [>]
Making Light [>]
McSweeney's [>]
WFUV [>]
Anti-pedantry page: Singular 'their' in Jane Austen [>]
places I miss
Cafe Diplomatico [>] (Toronto)
The Red Room [>] (Toronto)
The Free Times Cafe [>] (Toronto)
Sneaky Dee's [>] (Toronto... aka Sneaky Disease, best nachos in town)
Kensington Market [>] (Toronto)
College Street [>] (Toronto)
Perfection Satisfaction Promise [>] (Ottawa - formerly the Painted Potato)
Piccolo Grande [>] (Ottawa)
The Market [>] (Ottawa)
Stray cats of Parliament Hill [>] (Ottawa)
other nonsense
Mozilla [>]
Abebooks [>]
Alibris [>]
Metafilter [>]
and thank you
Thanks to Haloscan for blog-comment-ability

Friday, January 14, 2005

Curse the pain!

Argh! My back is aching... a couple days ago I carried, amongst other heavy things, a heavy hammer, in my shoulder bag, and my back hasn't been the same since. Yes, I am horribly unfit. I think I'll take a bubble bath later this evening.

My return to New York has been, of course, charming. Such as my flight being 45 minutes delayed so that LaGuardia could clear some landing space since it was too busy; then being another 25 minutes delayed for last minute maintenance paperwork (which clearly could not have been done during the first 45 minute delay, while the plane was just hangin' out at Pearson, minding its own business). Then getting to LaGuardia and not being able to find my friend Reuben, who was picking me up. Then almost losing my funky shoes. Then the horrible rain as we drove back on the highways, such that (a) we could not see anything resembling lanes, and (b) were continually sandwiched between the opposing traffic and Really Big Trucks.

Last night was my friend Ariane's birthday celebration, at a cafe near me... Richard, of course, was there. We chatted for a bit, but then he saw fit instead to chat up a girl we know from Psychology.... for hours, while I tried to ignore them bending their heads toward each other. ARGH! Anyway, I had a lot of wine (of course -- I had to help the birthday girl!), and yelled at Richard as he left with the girl(yes, I yelled, and called him a fucker, in public... very tacky... very unlike me... argh)... then I burst into tears, left the cafe, walked home, called Reuben to ask where the girl lived, walked past her apartment, saw Richard wasn't outside, walked to Richard's... and apologized to him for my behaviour. We chatted awhile, then he walked me home.

All very tumultuous.

Then I read Shake Hands with the Devil for a couple hours.

Yes, of course it put me in a better mood. Why on earth do you ask?

In other news, guess who's speaking on February 11th at the New School? Romeo Dallaire and Samantha Power, that's who! So I've RSVP'ed, and I'm rounding up others to go down. Huzzah!

In still other news, my syllabus is up on the Fordham Library E-reserves section (for some reason the link isn't working right now... but if you go to the Fordham Library site, then choose "Electronic Reserve Desk," then search by instructor "dryden," you can find it. In case you wanted to look at my syllabus). I got my preliminary class list - 15 students! - and my classroom assignation - Keating 317, which is right around the corner from Dr. Tress's office (the professor I used to work for, who I'm doing an independent study with this term). Excellent.

And I sent off my Royce conference submission. Wish me luck! (Of course, now that I've sent it, it's the most horrible paper ever, and they will laugh at me as they read it. Curse you, Vanderbilt! Damn it, but I want to go to Nashville!)


jane 11:20 PM [+]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?