ramble through the bronx

yes, this here is ramble through the bronx, the continuing musings of a graduate student* who should be writing her dissertation, but honestly, living in new york city there's really so much else to do...

* and her commenting friends. And guest blogger.
[welcome to ramble through the bronx | bloghome
[archive]
[I wish I was a mole in the ground]
FRIENDS
NYC
Meredith [>] (NYC/Toronto)
Emily [>] (Brooklyn)
Emily's music site[>]
Jeremy [>] (Bronx)
Ryan [>] (Bronx)
non-NYC people I miss
Jennifer [>] (Toronto)
Tokyo Tintin[>] (Tokyo/Toronto)
Dawn [>] (Ottawa)
Caitlyn [>] (Ottawa)
CBC [>] (my true love)
del.icio.us/janeyjane [>] (my social link collection, alas, not updated lately. I am apparently not delicious)
The Keeper [>] (try it, you'll love it)
comics sites that I check every day
Newsarama [>] (check out the 'blog' section especially)
When Fangirls Attack [>] (women in comics links)
politics, media, and gossip
AlterNet [>]
Wonkette[>]
Gawker[>]
'Fuddle duddle' incident [>]
The Nation [>]
Catholic stuff
America Magazine [>] magazine of US Jesuits
Commonweal Magazine [>] biweekly magazine of lay Catholics
Karl Rahner Society [>] site dedicated to awesome 20th c. theologian
Liberal Catholic News [>] blog for progressive catholics
Pacem in Terris [>] Pope John XXIII's 1963 encyclical
music - mostly folk music and banjo links
The How and Tao of Folk Music [>] Patrick Costello's podcasts & banjo & folk guitar instruction
Back Porch News [>]News, Commentary & Links for the folkie community
E-Z Folk [>]Folk music instruction and tabulature
amuse yourself
Piled Higher and Deeper [>] (comic about grad student life)
Cat and Girl [>] just what it sounds like
The Onion [>]
Sluggy Freelance [>]
The Boondocks [>]
Eric Conveys an Emotion [>]
philosophy
Society for Women in Philosophy [>]
the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy [>]
The Hegel Society of America[>]
North American Fichte Society[>]
Journal of Neoplatonic Studies [>]
Women Philosophers [>]
Brian Leiter's blog [>]
read/see/hear
Harper's [>]
Neil Gaiman [>]
Charles de Lint [>]
Making Light [>]
McSweeney's [>]
WFUV [>]
Anti-pedantry page: Singular 'their' in Jane Austen [>]
places I miss
Cafe Diplomatico [>] (Toronto)
The Red Room [>] (Toronto)
The Free Times Cafe [>] (Toronto)
Sneaky Dee's [>] (Toronto... aka Sneaky Disease, best nachos in town)
Kensington Market [>] (Toronto)
College Street [>] (Toronto)
Perfection Satisfaction Promise [>] (Ottawa - formerly the Painted Potato)
Piccolo Grande [>] (Ottawa)
The Market [>] (Ottawa)
Stray cats of Parliament Hill [>] (Ottawa)
other nonsense
Mozilla [>]
Abebooks [>]
Alibris [>]
Metafilter [>]
and thank you
Thanks to Haloscan for blog-comment-ability

Saturday, January 22, 2005

"So, where are you from?" asked the cute waitress

My friend Reuben wrote the first chunk of his PhD psychology comps yesterday (the next chunk is next Friday), and he and Doug the Jesuit and I went out last night to celebrate. As it was chilly (well, for New Yorkers it was cold; for Torontonians it was a bit nippy; for Ottawans it was a day at the beach), we took Reuben's car & got a sweet parking spot in Greenwich Village right across the street from a Washington Mutual (Reuben's and my bank). We were all set for a Night of Fun! We had Doug for the charm, and me to keep Doug company while Reuben tried to hook up, if he tried to hook up. All good. We all looked great.

We first hit The Fat Black Pussycat, a great bar with a great happy hour - all drinks half price, from 4- 8pm. It was super crowded, but eventually we managed to get drinks and a table, and had a great time chatting & drinkin' & so forth. Two of Doug's Jesuit friends dropped by, we joked with the one who's auditioning for Broadway that it would be a great to have a Jesuit in "Naked Men Singing". Blah di blah blah.

Four drinks apiece later, we're walkin' together to to Cafe Gitane for French - Moroccan food (Cafe Habana was too busy). There was a 20 minute wait, and even the bar was full up, so we ordered a bottle of wine and the super-cute waitress brings us the bottle and 3 glasses. As we're still just standin' there, in our coats, she grins and says "Hey, I know this isn't classy, but here you go" and we joke around & hey, wine is still wine. Since there's nowhere to put the bottle, she says, "Well, I may as well fill your glasses all the way up" and we joke around some more. She puts the bottle by the bar.

So we've been in this cafe for all of 10 minutes, we've been jokin' around, and I look around -- everyone in this cafe is super-cute, adorable, super-cool. I joke to Doug, "Hey, are we cute enough to be here?" There's also a super-cute waiter who looks a little like Bonny "Prince" Billy. Sigh!

OK, I'm getting to the punch line.

We finally sit at the bar with our wine, and we're chatting & laughing & joking, and the waitress comes over to talk to us.

"Where are you from?" she asks me.

"Canada..."

"Oh... 'cause I'm from Minnesota, and I was noticing a similarity..." Minnesotans and Canadians have a connection. I've noticed this before. "Also -- my ex-boyfriend went to the University of Toronto, and you reminded me of people from Toronto. You have a Toronto-style going on."

Here I am, in NoLiTa NYC, the heart of NYC trendiness, being told by a cute waitress (an actor, of course, as we found out, like all waiters), that I have Toronto style.

What a lovely compliment.

Anyway, my question for all of you is: what is the Toronto style? What separates it from New York style? I do think there definitely is one, and I like it -- whenever I'm back in Toronto I'm struck by how cute I find everyone. But to have it pointed out, so out of the blue!

Anyway, the rest of the evening was lovely... nothing super-exciting, I never got a chance to talk to the cute waiter, but we joked around for a while with the other waitress, who's from Australia and teaches drama classes here in New York. We had a good time, though Reuben didn't get anyone's number. We then walked back toward the car, stopped for tea/hot chocolate/hot water* along the way, and went home. I slept like a baby.

Toronto. I think I'll never really leave....

* Doug likes plain hot water. Is this strange?

jane 2:08 PM [+]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?