ramble through the bronx

yes, this here is ramble through the bronx, the continuing musings of a graduate student* who should be writing her dissertation, but honestly, living in new york city there's really so much else to do...

* and her commenting friends. And guest blogger.
[welcome to ramble through the bronx | bloghome
[archive]
[I wish I was a mole in the ground]
FRIENDS
NYC
Meredith [>] (NYC/Toronto)
Emily [>] (Brooklyn)
Emily's music site[>]
Jeremy [>] (Bronx)
Ryan [>] (Bronx)
non-NYC people I miss
Jennifer [>] (Toronto)
Tokyo Tintin[>] (Tokyo/Toronto)
Dawn [>] (Ottawa)
Caitlyn [>] (Ottawa)
CBC [>] (my true love)
del.icio.us/janeyjane [>] (my social link collection, alas, not updated lately. I am apparently not delicious)
The Keeper [>] (try it, you'll love it)
comics sites that I check every day
Newsarama [>] (check out the 'blog' section especially)
When Fangirls Attack [>] (women in comics links)
politics, media, and gossip
AlterNet [>]
Wonkette[>]
Gawker[>]
'Fuddle duddle' incident [>]
The Nation [>]
Catholic stuff
America Magazine [>] magazine of US Jesuits
Commonweal Magazine [>] biweekly magazine of lay Catholics
Karl Rahner Society [>] site dedicated to awesome 20th c. theologian
Liberal Catholic News [>] blog for progressive catholics
Pacem in Terris [>] Pope John XXIII's 1963 encyclical
music - mostly folk music and banjo links
The How and Tao of Folk Music [>] Patrick Costello's podcasts & banjo & folk guitar instruction
Back Porch News [>]News, Commentary & Links for the folkie community
E-Z Folk [>]Folk music instruction and tabulature
amuse yourself
Piled Higher and Deeper [>] (comic about grad student life)
Cat and Girl [>] just what it sounds like
The Onion [>]
Sluggy Freelance [>]
The Boondocks [>]
Eric Conveys an Emotion [>]
philosophy
Society for Women in Philosophy [>]
the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy [>]
The Hegel Society of America[>]
North American Fichte Society[>]
Journal of Neoplatonic Studies [>]
Women Philosophers [>]
Brian Leiter's blog [>]
read/see/hear
Harper's [>]
Neil Gaiman [>]
Charles de Lint [>]
Making Light [>]
McSweeney's [>]
WFUV [>]
Anti-pedantry page: Singular 'their' in Jane Austen [>]
places I miss
Cafe Diplomatico [>] (Toronto)
The Red Room [>] (Toronto)
The Free Times Cafe [>] (Toronto)
Sneaky Dee's [>] (Toronto... aka Sneaky Disease, best nachos in town)
Kensington Market [>] (Toronto)
College Street [>] (Toronto)
Perfection Satisfaction Promise [>] (Ottawa - formerly the Painted Potato)
Piccolo Grande [>] (Ottawa)
The Market [>] (Ottawa)
Stray cats of Parliament Hill [>] (Ottawa)
other nonsense
Mozilla [>]
Abebooks [>]
Alibris [>]
Metafilter [>]
and thank you
Thanks to Haloscan for blog-comment-ability

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The academic life

Huh. What a day.
10.00 am. Father Clarke, a 90-year old Jesuit, calls me to invite me for dinner.

11.00 am. Call Father Stroud at the De Mello Spirituality Center re. when I should stop by for him to show me what I need to do (I picked up another job 'round campus).

11.15 am. Sort laundry into two bags (hot/cold).

11.20 am. Clean up cat-sick on bathroom floor. Yuck. Trouble's been ill lately. I'm too broke to go to the vet....

11.30 - 12.30 am. Sit in diner, drinking coffee, eating sandwich, reading Hegel's essay, The Difference Between Fichte's and Schelling's Systems of Philosophy

1.00 - 2.15 pm. Meet Father Stroud in front of Faber Hall, get shown where the De Mello Spirituality Center is (just down the hall from Cardinal Dulles's office!). He and his assistant show me what to do (my new job involves mailing out books & tapes). He gives me a cheque for $100 for my hour & a bit's work. I'm supposed to go in 3-4 times a week, an hour a day or so, and keep up with the mailings, for $25 an hour. Sweet! Their secretary is ill. This job will last for a few weeks, and possibly into the school year. Huzzah, I can afford to take Trouble to the vet!

2.30 - 3.00 pm. Argue with Ariane about what the end of the sixth Harry Potter book means. (who else has read it? wanna discuss?)

3.15 - 4.45 pm. Laundry. Euch.

4.45 - 5.20 pm. Wonder what to wear to dinner. Sweat. It's in the mid-90s Fahrenheit here in NYC, and with the heat index apparently feels like 104F. Bleauch. I know no one in Canada has sympathy for me -- I've been seeing your heat warnings. Summer sucks.

5.40 - 7.30 pm. Dinner and drinks with Father Clarke in Loyola, one of the Jesuit residences (home of lots of old, old men). We talk about Aquinas, Fichte, Hegel, relational autonomy, feminism, substance, California, Ecstasy, raves (apparently there's such a thing as "liturgical raves"?!?), what happened to the Yale philosophy department a few years ago, etc,. etc. Fr. Clarke (a.k.a. "Norrie") gives me a paper he wrote about Aquinas, "To Be is To Be Substance-in-Relation" that relates to some of what I'm working on, metaphysically.

7.35 pm. Check my email in the department. 46 new emails regarding this fall's ancient & medieval philosophy conference. I decide to put off going through them until tomorrow (I already dealt with 30 emails yesterday).

8.00 pm. Blog post.
So, I feel like I've been working all day, even though I technically haven't. But it's hard to decide whether, say, having a conversation with somebody about philosophy (specifically, explaining my project to Norrie & getting his ideas on it) counts as doing work. It's not really. It all just sort of weaves together....

jane 7:49 PM [+]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?