ramble through the bronx

yes, this here is ramble through the bronx, the continuing musings of a graduate student* who should be writing her dissertation, but honestly, living in new york city there's really so much else to do...

* and her commenting friends. And guest blogger.
[welcome to ramble through the bronx | bloghome
[archive]
[I wish I was a mole in the ground]
FRIENDS
NYC
Meredith [>] (NYC/Toronto)
Emily [>] (Brooklyn)
Emily's music site[>]
Jeremy [>] (Bronx)
Ryan [>] (Bronx)
non-NYC people I miss
Jennifer [>] (Toronto)
Tokyo Tintin[>] (Tokyo/Toronto)
Dawn [>] (Ottawa)
Caitlyn [>] (Ottawa)
CBC [>] (my true love)
del.icio.us/janeyjane [>] (my social link collection, alas, not updated lately. I am apparently not delicious)
The Keeper [>] (try it, you'll love it)
comics sites that I check every day
Newsarama [>] (check out the 'blog' section especially)
When Fangirls Attack [>] (women in comics links)
politics, media, and gossip
AlterNet [>]
Wonkette[>]
Gawker[>]
'Fuddle duddle' incident [>]
The Nation [>]
Catholic stuff
America Magazine [>] magazine of US Jesuits
Commonweal Magazine [>] biweekly magazine of lay Catholics
Karl Rahner Society [>] site dedicated to awesome 20th c. theologian
Liberal Catholic News [>] blog for progressive catholics
Pacem in Terris [>] Pope John XXIII's 1963 encyclical
music - mostly folk music and banjo links
The How and Tao of Folk Music [>] Patrick Costello's podcasts & banjo & folk guitar instruction
Back Porch News [>]News, Commentary & Links for the folkie community
E-Z Folk [>]Folk music instruction and tabulature
amuse yourself
Piled Higher and Deeper [>] (comic about grad student life)
Cat and Girl [>] just what it sounds like
The Onion [>]
Sluggy Freelance [>]
The Boondocks [>]
Eric Conveys an Emotion [>]
philosophy
Society for Women in Philosophy [>]
the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy [>]
The Hegel Society of America[>]
North American Fichte Society[>]
Journal of Neoplatonic Studies [>]
Women Philosophers [>]
Brian Leiter's blog [>]
read/see/hear
Harper's [>]
Neil Gaiman [>]
Charles de Lint [>]
Making Light [>]
McSweeney's [>]
WFUV [>]
Anti-pedantry page: Singular 'their' in Jane Austen [>]
places I miss
Cafe Diplomatico [>] (Toronto)
The Red Room [>] (Toronto)
The Free Times Cafe [>] (Toronto)
Sneaky Dee's [>] (Toronto... aka Sneaky Disease, best nachos in town)
Kensington Market [>] (Toronto)
College Street [>] (Toronto)
Perfection Satisfaction Promise [>] (Ottawa - formerly the Painted Potato)
Piccolo Grande [>] (Ottawa)
The Market [>] (Ottawa)
Stray cats of Parliament Hill [>] (Ottawa)
other nonsense
Mozilla [>]
Abebooks [>]
Alibris [>]
Metafilter [>]
and thank you
Thanks to Haloscan for blog-comment-ability

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Conference over! Spring break soon!

Whew! The Fordham Philosophical Society's Third Biennial Conference is over! That was a lot of work, a lot of alcohol, and very little sleep. But we pulled it off OK, I think. People seemed to have a good time. And one of our participants knows Sarah, which is groovy (and also Kathleen's brother & sister-in-law, which is also groovy) -- we actually had two folks in from University of Ottawa. Very cool indeed. (No other Canadians -- and in fact the one who knows Sarah is not a Canadian originally but is in fact Californian. Faker!)

(We still need to go through & settle up & finish up the budget & submit reimbursement forms, etc., etc,. etc., but the stressful work part of the work is over.)

Also, folks seemed to like my response to one of the papers. (I can send it to any of you who are interested in seeing it; it got some laughs. I call it, "My Fichte Stand-up Comedy Act", but apparently people also thought it was intellectually OK & philosophically interesting. Who knows? Whatever. Given that I was talking about someone who once published an essay called A Crystal Clear Report to the General Public Concerning the Actual Essence of the Newest Philosophy: An Attempt to Force the Reader to Understand, my material's already pretty good.)

No news yet about funding for next year, except that we now Know That Our Department Chair Knows, and that he's Not Telling Us Anything Yet. Which is giving many of us (myself included) nightmares and cold sweats. Argh. I guess if I do move back to Ottawa, though, I'll know a bazillion people.

And finally, I'm happy to say that this Friday I'm flying off to Seattle with my friend Reuben, where we're going to join Doug the Jesuit for a weeklong roadtrip around the northwest -- hitting Portland, Seattle, Spokane, and the wonderful Vancouver, where my uncle will put us up, take us kayaking, and feed us BBQed salmon. YES!!!

(And even finally-er, no, I still haven't done much more work on my dissertation since February 13th.)

How are all of you? Megan, having a good time back in Canada-land?


jane 11:44 AM [+]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?