ramble through the bronx

yes, this here is ramble through the bronx, the continuing musings of a graduate student* who should be writing her dissertation, but honestly, living in new york city there's really so much else to do...

* and her commenting friends. And guest blogger.
[welcome to ramble through the bronx | bloghome
[archive]
[I wish I was a mole in the ground]
FRIENDS
NYC
Meredith [>] (NYC/Toronto)
Emily [>] (Brooklyn)
Emily's music site[>]
Jeremy [>] (Bronx)
Ryan [>] (Bronx)
non-NYC people I miss
Jennifer [>] (Toronto)
Tokyo Tintin[>] (Tokyo/Toronto)
Dawn [>] (Ottawa)
Caitlyn [>] (Ottawa)
CBC [>] (my true love)
del.icio.us/janeyjane [>] (my social link collection, alas, not updated lately. I am apparently not delicious)
The Keeper [>] (try it, you'll love it)
comics sites that I check every day
Newsarama [>] (check out the 'blog' section especially)
When Fangirls Attack [>] (women in comics links)
politics, media, and gossip
AlterNet [>]
Wonkette[>]
Gawker[>]
'Fuddle duddle' incident [>]
The Nation [>]
Catholic stuff
America Magazine [>] magazine of US Jesuits
Commonweal Magazine [>] biweekly magazine of lay Catholics
Karl Rahner Society [>] site dedicated to awesome 20th c. theologian
Liberal Catholic News [>] blog for progressive catholics
Pacem in Terris [>] Pope John XXIII's 1963 encyclical
music - mostly folk music and banjo links
The How and Tao of Folk Music [>] Patrick Costello's podcasts & banjo & folk guitar instruction
Back Porch News [>]News, Commentary & Links for the folkie community
E-Z Folk [>]Folk music instruction and tabulature
amuse yourself
Piled Higher and Deeper [>] (comic about grad student life)
Cat and Girl [>] just what it sounds like
The Onion [>]
Sluggy Freelance [>]
The Boondocks [>]
Eric Conveys an Emotion [>]
philosophy
Society for Women in Philosophy [>]
the Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy [>]
The Hegel Society of America[>]
North American Fichte Society[>]
Journal of Neoplatonic Studies [>]
Women Philosophers [>]
Brian Leiter's blog [>]
read/see/hear
Harper's [>]
Neil Gaiman [>]
Charles de Lint [>]
Making Light [>]
McSweeney's [>]
WFUV [>]
Anti-pedantry page: Singular 'their' in Jane Austen [>]
places I miss
Cafe Diplomatico [>] (Toronto)
The Red Room [>] (Toronto)
The Free Times Cafe [>] (Toronto)
Sneaky Dee's [>] (Toronto... aka Sneaky Disease, best nachos in town)
Kensington Market [>] (Toronto)
College Street [>] (Toronto)
Perfection Satisfaction Promise [>] (Ottawa - formerly the Painted Potato)
Piccolo Grande [>] (Ottawa)
The Market [>] (Ottawa)
Stray cats of Parliament Hill [>] (Ottawa)
other nonsense
Mozilla [>]
Abebooks [>]
Alibris [>]
Metafilter [>]
and thank you
Thanks to Haloscan for blog-comment-ability

Monday, November 27, 2006

This whole professionalization thing is wacky

I've been getting some letters and emails lately, acknowledging receipt of my job applications.

One today, from a University That Will Remain Unnamed --
This is to acknowledge receipt of your application for the tenure-track position in Philosophy at Blahdiblah State University. Applications will be reviewed by the search committee during the next several weeks. We will be in touch with you as the selection proceeds.

In the meantime, in accordance with University policy, please complete and return the enclosed self-stamped and self-addressed affirmative action card to: Affirmative Action Office, 123 Superduper Building, Blahdiblah State, Random Town, US.

Thank you for your interest in the position.

Yours cordially,

Chair, Philosophy Search Committee
All very nice. Kind of weird to think that I'd be filling out an affirmative action card, since I think as a foreigner I don't get counted in the same categories. Oh well.

The silly thing is, they didn't actually enclose the card. Trust me. I triple-checked.

"Yikes!" I thought. "Now I have to email the search committee and tell them they screwed up. Yikes yikes yikes yikes." A (probably totally groundless and unreasonable) fear washed over me. I felt as though it was my fault the card wasn't there.

Is this nervousness and anxiety reason to think that I'm not ready for this application process? I wonder.

Anyway. I sent them a super-polite email ("Thank you for your letter acknowledging receipt of my application for the tenure-track philosophy position. I will be happy to complete and return the affirmative action card, but it was not enclosed in the envelope. Would you be so kind as to send me one?") and the chair just sent me one back, calling me by my first name and signing off with his first name, saying of course they apologize and will sent me one shortly. So it's all good.

This is just a sample view of the weird self-doubts I've had lately.


jane 7:40 PM [+]

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?